Saturday, January 12, 2013

DIY Project: Projects Yearbook.

Screenshot, via iPhoto.

The other day I had the idea of compiling a photo book of the projects I've completed, a year book of sorts. I made and ordered it the next day, via iPhoto, and every since I've been eagerly anticipated it's arrival. Today it was finally, FINALLY delivered to my front stoop.

Very happy to have my project yearbook in hand!
via my Instagram

As soon as the book was delivered, I looked through it for typos/mistakes/print quality/etc., just as I always do when receiving a printed product such as this. And I'm pretty happy with the quality of the book, for the most part.

Notice anything odd?

The binding is well made, the cover and dust jacket are both gorgeous. The quality of the photo printing was so-so. The pictures in the book came out darker, and less clear than they do when the pictures themselves are printed. That is a bummer. But the biggest downer was the couple of pages of the book that have been printed upside down. Yup, that's right. Up. Side. Down.

The book had several places where pages had been inserted upside down. 

I really, really love my project yearbook idea! Even though this particular copy isn't perfect, it's been really fun to have a tangible collection of all the things I made last year. I am really looking forward to getting the correctly printed replacement book! In fact, I've already started working on this year's book, although I'll be using another printer. I hope it will be a lot easier and more convenient to fill in each project as I finish it, versus spending hours on end adding, editing, and proofing everything in one sitting at the end of the year (or, as in this case, at the beginning of the next). Also, I hope the next one will print correctly, and more true to the images, on the first try. 

2 comments:

  1. I think this is such a brilliant idea. One I may have to borrow - or at least highlight on my blog.

    ReplyDelete