Friday, January 11, 2013

DIY Project: Reupholster Chairs

My husband have had this table and chair set for eons. While they might not be my particular style, they are high quality and in fairly good condition. The fabric on the chairs seats , however, have started showing major signs of wear. As we currently rent, we haven't been in any hurry to replace them. Instead I've been thinking about redoing them myself for quite a while, and finally took the plunge. I've never done any furniture reupholstery before, but it was easy enough. I improvised the process, taking notes as I took the chairs apart, and then put them together again in the reverse order. Piece of cake!

Chairs, Before

I got a bunch of amazing Caitlin Wilson pillows when I redid my office last year, and ever since, I've wanted to use this gorgeous Mint Fleur Chinoise print to reupholster these chairs. Finally, finally, I pulled the trigger and ordered the fabric, in spite of its $60/yard price tag.

Source: Caitlin Wilson Textiles

I've been waiting for the fabric to arrive for what feels like eons, which makes me feel like I've been working on this project for weeks, when I in fact have not. Luckily, when the fabric actually got here, the project took about an hour and a half from start to finish, which isn't bad given the fact that I had absolutely no idea what I was doing. Here are my "new" chairs:


Chairs, after

I'm so glad to finally have this project completed, and I love, love, LOVE how they turned out! They've brightened up my little kitchen nook so much! I find myself repeatedly walking through the kitchen, for no reason other than to admire my pretty, new chairs.

Before/After

Fabric:

2 yards Caitlin Wilson Textiles Mint Fleur Chinoise, $120

No comments:

Post a Comment